"What makes the use sanction in the school environment an appropriate measure, and distinguishes it from its use in the administrative or legal procedure, is undoubtedly its pedagogical value, regardless of its nature as a formal or alternative correctional measure," states prof. Robi Kroflič Ph.D (University of Ljubljana), at the end of the introductory chapter in the monography “Punishment in school?”, published in August 2011 by the Institute of the RS for VET. The monography was prepared in the project tackling disciplinary issues and violations of school policy in secondary VET schools.
The monography consists of three parts:
- The introduction, written by Kroflič, comprises different reactions in conflict situations.
- Translations of texts, written by authors such as Gibbs, Skiba and Cremini, concerning selected well established concepts dealing with problematic behavior of students.
- Summaries of useful information for teachers, which they can incorporate into their teaching practice.
Increasing behavioral problems, increase of both ethnic and socio economic diversity of the population, inclusion of students with special needs in regular school programs opens many dilemmas for teachers, parents and students. A universal recipe for solving disciplinary issues, due to their complex nature does not exist. There is a variety of pedagogical strategies, but for successful dealing with disciplinary issues, it is important for the school to design and implement a consistent educational concept of the school. Consequently it is of crucial importance that teaches are very knowledgeable about various educational concepts, and more importantly, to be able to justify their use.
Every educational measure should result from the answers to the following questions:
- Is the violation the result of a conscious decision or the result of psychological and social determinants?
- Is the sanction fair or justified?
- How does a specific type of sanction affect the change the behavior and attitude of the violator?
Conflict situations are part of our everyday life. The skill of conflict resolution and other social skills are nowadays considered a general communicative competence in various professional fields. Successful resolution of conflicts reveals the thesis of the conflict as an ideal learning situation.